Wednesday, May 14, 2008

About Us...

Well, should've started this blog back in January, which is when I started dressage lessons. But, I guess now is better than never.

A little background on me....
I've owned Jetta, a spotted draft mare (more on that later), for over 4 years now. I am 30yo (almost, 5/19 is my b-day!), a mother of one 3 1/2 yo son, and married to my HS sweetheart. I started riding when I was 8, at the local public trail riding facility. Never took any lessons, never had any formal riding education. Just paid my $10 and got on for an hour of w/t/c on the trails. My mom was a single mom, raising my older brother and myself on just her own salary, so lessons were just out of the question. I remember making her so mad b/c I would not get lunch in school in order to save $$ for those trail rides. She should've know then that this passion would not ever go away! HA! Fast forward to college. Went to Otterbein College close to Columbus, OH - turns out they have a nice little riding program. My one roommate, who is now the best friend ever!, decided to try out for both the western and english teams (she'd been riding all her life, but with formal training). I was just stoked that at a liberal arts college where PE classes were part of the requirements, lessons counted for college credit! So, I figured what the heck and tried out for the Western team, and made it! W/T of course! :) I did take English lessons as well, which I believe turned me into a much better all-around rider than I could've ever asked for. All my trainers were awesome, and I had a ton of fun. After graduation, I moved back to my hometown where I applied and got a p/t job on the weekends at that very same public trail riding facility from my childhood. That's where I met and fell in love with "Jetta."

Jetta is a now 13yo spotted draft mare. For more info on this breed, you can go to www.nasdha.net or www.pinto-draft-registry.com (techincally, she is both but is not yet registered with the p-d-r). Anyway, she is a product of two paint/perch crosses, so I usually tell people she's a draft cross. I love her to death. She's that one perfect horse that we all dream of - full of try and a heart of gold. Very much the alpha mare, and as such is an "independent thinker" of sorts...something I prize in a horse. She was born on an Amish farm in northern Ohio, and learned to first pull plows and wagons. She was then sold to the public riding facility, where she received informal education on how to carry people whilst putting her nose in the tail of the horse in front of her. Her eyes held no spark, she was popping babies out year after year, and she was horribly out of condition - feet, skin, body, everything. But, I could see it. My heart could feel it. This was MY horse. After over a year of pleading, they finally sold her to me. We just putzed around for a long while, getting to know each other and me coaxing the life back into her eyes. I'm happy to say that now she's a vivacious, outgoing, curious and fun mare - with a definite sparkle in her eye and spring in her step. A year ago we moved to a different boarding facility where we were going to just enjoy all the amenities a show barn can provide...until I was a scribe at several of the dressage shows our barn hosts throughout the season. I feel in love with it.

So, we are now entering our 5th month of lessons...something I want to publish and save here. It's been very rocky - something I'll get into my next posts, but definitely worth it! Jetta is doing fantastic and quickly coming into much better shape...something I desperately need to do for myself.

If you made it to the end, you get a cookie. Hey, I don't need anymore cookies...really, I don't.

1 comment:

Britnie said...

Saw you over on another blog and looked at your cute picture and then found your blog! Jetta sounds lovely and is too cute, how great of you to find her and put her spark back in her step! Cant wait to hear how your lessons go!

wheres my cookie?? lol