Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Memorial Day Hunters Pace - SUCCESS

I was invited to another Hunter's Pace, this time with Miami Valley Hunt, on Memorial Day. I was a little nervous about the weather, the forecast kept getting more ominous, and we had a nice spell of 90% humidity and heat. Fun. I do SO love Ohio summer. *rolls eyes*
So, Monday morning dawned bright and early as I got to the barn. I hooked up the trailer and pulled around. Everyone else from the barn that was going was also getting ready to leave, and luckily I had prepared everything the night before. The Queen, Jetta, even got a bath!

The Pace was held at a fixture that was just over an hour's drive away, through gorgeous rolling farmland. We had an uneventful trailer ride, and arrive to find many people already there. Got registered and as I was a "single rider" (my friend I would've ridden with had other plans), I was hooked up with one of their long-term members. And, boy was it fun! We had a fantastic time, Cindy was on a gorgeous massive Standardbred (trotting) gelding, to which Jetta jogged to his walk and cantered to his trot. The weather turned out to be fantastic for us, I was actually cold when we got there! 65 degrees, very low humidity, and a nice strong breeze. Cindy was a great riding partner, and she really gave me the ins and outs of pacing. Neither of us were focused on winning any ribbons, we just wanted to have fun. At one point, we came across Cindy's husband out on his ATV with a cooler of beer, and stopped to have one ourselves. :) Continued on, and boy was that fun trying to finish a drink while posting - I am happy to report that I didn't get anything on myself or my horse. I'm experienced. Ha! Actually, I am so not a drinker, but it just seemed perfect.

So, we finished strong, had a great ride, and as soon as everyone was done with the course and horses were cooled out, we all headed up for a cookout. Man can those hunt people throw a great party. Everyone brought a side or a dessert, so there was plenty of food all around. My dressage trainer, who no longer rides due to past injuries, was even there (she's a social member)! I got to meet all the Masters, and just had a great conversation. Then came the time to announce the ribbons. I should mention, I also joined as a Social Member (can hunt with them 3 times a season, but can do all the other events) and I rode with a full member, so we qualified in the Qualified Hilltopper Division.

We got:

















That's right, second place!!! We were hootin' and hollerin', and Cindy said later that she bet if we hadn't stopped for that beer, maybe we would've won! It was a fantastic day, and I am so glad I joined this great group of people!

Jetta and I have arrived:



Heading out onto the Course:

Fun, fun!!!

No comments: