Monday, February 28, 2011

A Ride to Remember

Friday was farrier day for Farno (wow, that's a lot of f-words in one sentence! lol).  My farrier totally rocks, we call him the Miracle Worker for all the awesome things he's done for horses.  Here's how excited Farno was to meet his rock star farrier:
Farrier Day
The subtitle I put on that picture was "From PayLess to Prada."  lol!

Here he is looking at me for treats:
Farrier day

And, Rock Star Farrier working his magic on Farno's classic OTTB feet - underrun heels...

Getting the magic touch from my wonderful farrier

I kept pushing my farrier for a comment, and he drawled out "weeeeelllll, let me get through with these shoes before I say anything."  And then when he thought I couldn't hear, he told Farno he was a good boy.  :)  After he was done, Rock Star Farrier did say he thought I got a "good one" but hopes he isn't a traditional high-maintenance OTTB, throwing shoes every other day.  He's a funny, funny guy.  lol

It was quite clear that Farno had never been hot-shod before, but he handled it like a true pro.  I swear, he is one of the smartest horses I've ever been around - you can see him totally assessing a situation and formulating how he will respond!  He was through and through a good boy...and so it was onto the FIRST RIDE!


Let me say, my good friend took these pics, and so they are dark.  I tried to lighten them some, but it's about the best I could do.  Next time I'll drag my hubby out and make him take nice ones.  I got a good laugh at my farrier and friend who couldn't believe I wasn't going to longe him before I got on!  I didn't even think about it, but my heart was a little in my stomach before I got on him. 

Getting ready:
Ready to get on!

And, I'm on!
:)

Walking my boy around:
Woo hoo, walking on my boy for the first time!

I was just going to walk him a little, but he offered a trot so I took it.  Wow does he have movement!  I'm so used to Jetta, the mare with little to no suspension, and this guy has suspension from here to tomorrow!  I ended up riding him only about 6 or 7 minutes, but it was absolute heaven.  I think my face says it all:
:)

I will never, ever forget that first ride.  It was just perfect, everything I could've ever asked for from him.  I am taking it easy with him, baby steps first.  I know from his demeanor that there's not much that will faze him, but he lost a lot of top line and conditioning in between his last race and when he came home with me, so we work on that slowly.  I longed him a little Sunday, and my goal was to get him working off my voice cues - and he totally nailed it.  I will probably just groom him the next couple of days - my goal is that when he sees me I want him thinking "what are we doing today?"  And, I think he's getting it!
Happy boy

Chiropractor is this Wednesday, and once we get the all-clear there then I will start bumping up his works.  I can't wait!  :)

3 comments:

in2paints said...

What a good boy!! I also think you got a good one... he took everything in stride and only asked for cookies in return. :)

sally said...

He is just so cute .....and I like the sound of his movement . How nice to have awesome suspension. A good idea to slowly build up the top line. Thats what I'm doing with Diego

Britnie said...

Oh yeah! I knew it would go well! Love the smile on your face! Cant wait to hear about your other rides!