I rode both my ponies this weekend!!!! That's right, my OTTB boy and my retired Jetta-girl. I have to say, there are no words to describe how awesome it was to be back on my girl. My entire being was singing - my heart and soul were lifted beyond the skies. And...Jetta was SOUND! The entire trail ride, which actually only lasted about 30minutes, but was filled with some trotting and even a nice canter - all Jetta's idea! Saturday came around with temps in the 50s, sun a shinin', and although it was super windy, I just had to get up on her. I was totally prepared to walk her around their small outdoor arena and call it good, but she was sound and kept looking at the woods with interest....so off we went. I ride her at the buckle, since she's such a good girl, and decided to let her choose the pace. We were walking along nicely when we came to a long, flat stretch of wooded trail, and Jetta took a trot. I laughed, and started posting. We got to a curve and she slowed to a walk....got around the curve and yet another long, flat stretch of trail....she took about 2 trot steps and launched into a bounding, ground-covering canter. I started to panic a bit, knowing what's in her ankle, but one glance at her ears pricked forward and her happy, soft eye, had me laughing out loud. Heck, if she felt good enough to canter, I figured she knows her body best, and I let her. It was the most lovely feeling - if I didn't know what was in that ankle I would be tempted to put her back into regular work. We were coming to a fork in the trail ahead, and she showed no signs of slowing, so I regretably slowed her down to a walk. She shook her head and blew through her nose - she wanted to keep going. But, I kept her walking - for about another 10 or 15 minutes, and then I got off. Seriously? THE BEST! :)
Then, I headed over to Farno-man and got on him. He is still transitioning from shoes to barefoot, so I am keeping him in the nice indoor arena...but man am I itching to take him on the trails! I have been taking my sweet time with this sweet boy, as I want him to know that every time I'm out doesn't mean work. There's been a couple of evenings I've stopped out and just given him treats and then left. Sometimes I just groom him and then go. Sometimes he gets longed a little. And sometimes I hop on. Saturday he had me sweating to just keep him walking forward! So, Sunday when I got back on him, I carried a whip. :) That sure got a forward walk! The funny thing is that while on his back, I rubbed him all over with it but when I needed to use it - I smacked my boot with it instead. The point was made. lol This boy is SUCH a lover, he nuzzles all over me and greets me vocally every time he sees me. But, he's breaking my heart in turnout - he's not a part of the herd AT ALL. Instead, he stands way far away, and watches them. I know he's not drinking, and he's definitely not happy out there. So, my absolutely fantastic BOs build him his own field! They are testing the charger (electric tape fencing) and such today, and then Farno will go out in his very own field with run-in. OMG, this boy will be in Heaven! I'm a little nervous as I am not a proponent of putting horses on their own, but it's obvious that he isn't happy out there and needs some time to adjust to all of this life on his own. After a month or so, we will try to introduce a lower-ranking, easy going gelding from another herd with him. If that goes well, then we'll do the other one from that herd and then maybe he'll be able to go out like a big boy in the big boy field! :)
I have finally admitted to myself that I need a new saddle for him. Damn it. I hate saddle fitting with every fiber of my being. It took me almost 3 years to find a trail saddle for Jetta. Dressage saddle was MUCH easier, though - and Farno looks to be a much more common size of horse so hopefully it will go smoothly. My dressage saddle is a 34cm width - I tried on my friend's wide Passier (that she rides both her Hannoverian and Arab/Andy cross geldings in) and it looked MUCH better on him. So, tomorrow will consist of wither tracing and then heading to the nice tack store to see what I can find. The nice thing is that they take saddles on consignment, and they have a TON of them. So, I can hold up his wither tracings to find the saddles that would look to fit him, and then I can sit in them all to see what I like. Then I can either buy one if they have the right size, or order it. Ugh. I HATE SADDLE FITTING!!!!!
2 comments:
I don't envy you!! I'm glad Lilly's english saddle fitting is over, and I'm not looking forward to the western one. Farno sounds like he might be fairly easy to fit, though, so you might get lucky!
How cool that you got to ride Jetta! It sounds like she was having as much fun as you! :)
It's nice that your boarding place is so accommodating! Sounds like a great plan, and I'm guessing he can still see horses from where he is right?
Oh Jill, fantastic for you
Loved hearing of your ride and your heart that sang!
Jetta sounded to love it and I'm glad she's appearing sounder.
Routine of calm and carefree...not too demanding, is how I enjoy my mare too. I like hearing you too switch it up and allow them to be sometimes .
I'm happy to not have to"fit"a saddle- ever again. The one I'm getting(Ansur) in a few month s, is aerospace technology and a polymer"flex core" Base...no wood tree. It gives, flexes and can fit more than one horse, easily.
Kinda excited. Just sold so much of my tack, ( $500)swap meet yesterday, to be able to buy the saddle.
Hope you can make a good decision, it's tough. I weren't through 5saddles I'm 5 years.
Post a Comment