We had a huge winter storm coming in on Christmas Day, the day before I was to make the 6.5hour journey to my brother's house in middle PA. So, we ran around like chickens without our heads, and were on the road by 5:30pm. I called my BO to let her know what was going on - and asked her to please call me if anything changed for Jetta. I talked with her many times over the 6 days I was gone - the updates were that some days she looked mostly normal, but some days she looked very lame. All days it was always that left hind she was resting. I knew then in my gut that it wasn't an abscess....those don't look better and then worse and then better....they look really, really bad...and then much better. I came home late on 12/30, and on 12/31, this is what I found:

Still resting that leg. Not wanting to load the heel down AT ALL. Not sound, not even close. And that's when I saw the swelling and felt the heat in her left hind. I called the vet and left a message...and he called me back the next day, on 1/1, to tell me they BOTH would be there on 1/2. Both vets wanted to look at her. Ugh.
So, here's the diagnosis: severe bow to the Deep Digital Flexor Tendon, moderate bow to the Superficial Digital Flexor Tendon....left hind. :( :( :( :(

Directions of stall rest with 2 20-minute hand walks a day, along with incredible amounts of bute were prescribed. After 2 days, she looked completely normal, with the exception of the swelling in the tendons, and completely loading the heel. However, she was miserable. My unflappable, sane, awesome horse was quickly losing her mind. Almost 2 weeks had gone by with me walking an ever-increasingly-depressed horse, when this past Monday I walked in to find her rearing and bucking in her stall, screaming and pacing in smaller and smaller circles. I turned her out that day. I did hours upon hours of research and it all looks to be a crapshoot in terms of which method you use in recovery (complete stall rest vs. turnout). I called the vet and told him what was going on, and while he's very hesitant to let her out, he is in agreement that she's going to kill herself in the stall. So, now she gets to go out half a day, and comes in for half a day. So far she seems to be mentally ok with this arrangement. We have knocked all the bute back to just 1 gram at night, and so far the swelling in her tendons has continued to go down, and she's still sound and fully loading the heel. The light has returned to her eyes, and she revels in the layers of mud she can add daily.
I'm not sure what will happen in the future for us. The vets and all of my friends have said that if anyone can bring her back to undersaddle soundness, it's me. But to be honest, that's not even on my list of priorities for her. I just want her to be happy, and pain-free, and to know that her quality of life is the best it can be while she's here. I am completely prepared for the day I get the call that she's totally blown her tendons, or any other disaster, but am hoping that day is a long way away. Go hug your horses, cause that's what I do every day.
10 comments:
OH! I am so sorry Jill.
You may not know...'cause you've been ultra busy, I have just completed a 13 week stint of moderate stall rest and 2- 15 minute hand walks a day plus 2- 10 minute cold hose sessions a day, usually before and after a walking session.
The couple things that were invaluable for recovery were:
"Daily Calm"- a supplement
"Sore no More" Arnica Cooling clay poultice.Plus spray.
MSN and tissue repair supps like C and E and Comphry gel+ herbal for feeding.
Micro current really helped us too. I bought self adhesive patches and my owner allowed me to use her unit. it's 3 posts down.
Things like this happen quickly and they happen to all of us. I took comfort in the fact that it happened in the winter time, for it's cooling effect, and that riding status is normally lower.
Take care, and read up on others times..it does help to reconcile it with yourself.
XO
KK
MSM
I've been there, so I know how you feel. :( I was really lucky in that Lilly took her stall rest very well, so I didn't have to worry about her being cooped up for 6 months. Is Jetta's turnout area small, or is she just being turned out in a big pasture? I know small, outside areas seem to help those horses who don't like being in the stall.
You're right about the methods to bring a horse back, though. One vet says total stall rest and another says turnout is best. I think the key is keeping them calm and happy so they don't end up doing themselves more harm than good.
I'm sorry this has happened to you and Jetta. I hope she makes a full recovery!
Oh, my heart goes out to you. I sincerely hope that Jetta will make a full recovery.
I've been dealing with a mysterious front-end lameness with one of mine since October, so I know how heart-wrenching it is to see your horse in pain. It's truly horrible, and you'd do anything to make them happy and comfortable. Hugs.
Like above Jill .....the other girls have said it all.Its not easy .....be kind to yourself as well. Hugs to to you and Jetta
Thanks for all of your kind words, all!
KK - I'm sorry, I missed the stall rest you had to do with your mare! :( I guess I never thought of a calming supplement - but Jetta's mental state deteriorated (sp?) so quickly that I just made a spur of the moment decision to put her out.
Jetta has been on SmartFlex Resillience, so she's been getting plenty of MSM and other supporting vitamins and minerals all along. I did, with the vet's input, also add SmartTLC, which is specifically for horses' tendons, ligaments, and connective tissue (get it, TLC...). So, time will tell with this one. She is MUCH happier out though.
in2paints - Jetta is out in her large pasture. I tried to put her in the small paddock attached to her stall, but she can't see the other horses and took off at a canter. :O She goes out with one ofther horse in her pasture, so she's quite happy out there.
jenj - good luck on figuring out what's going on with your horse! Have xrays shown anything? My girl also has high and low ringbone in front, so I know how much fun lingering front end lameness can be. Ugh!
Jill
jenj - I just read your blog - obviously disregard my comment below. I'm so, so sorry for you!
Jill
Jill, it's OK, don't worry. Jetta's lameness is something they heal from, Saga's wasn't. I know what you mean about them being happier out though, and healing tendon injuries seems to be sort of a crap shoot between stall rest and turnout. As long as she's happy, you're doing the right thing!
AWW! I was so happy for you that Jetta was doing so good, yall were having so much fun. Well prayers for your mare, swift and easy recovery!
Hey you....do check in let us know how things are going!!
KK
Post a Comment