Friday, May 24, 2013

What To Do, What To Do....

No updates recently, as there hasn't been anything to talk about.  Jetta is still doing fine - hanging out and playing all day long in the field.  I haven't been on her for more than 10 minutes or so since December 22, the day she bowed her tendons.  It is my sincere hope that I actually get on her and take her for a walk around some of the trails this weekend and evaluate from there.

Forgive my rambling, but there are so many things going on in my head right now.

A large part of me wants to just say that Jetta is retired and just let her hang out.  I mean, she's more than earned it, right?  And, I'm just so paranoid about reinjury, and she's 18, and and and....


So, what to do?


The place I board is REALLY nice, but it comes with a REALLY nice price tag.  I mean, let's face it - there isn't a market for an 18yo draft cross with fused left front ankle, bowed left hind tendons, and nearing the end of any riding career.  And, I don't want to sell or give her away - there's no way I'll let her end up in the wrong hands. 

So, if I retire her but don't want to give her up, what are my options?  Of course, expenses are always a concern - especially if I get a second horse and keep them at the high price tag barn. 

I could look for a less expensive boarding option, and there are those around, but honestly I just don't need all the extras that a boarding barn provides (arenas, trails, wash stalls, etc) - really all she needs is good, safe turnout with nice, safe horses.  I would eliminate all supplements - and the little bit of grain (seriously, she gets a very small handful to go with her supplements) would be cut right away.  She's a very hardy horse who prefers to be out - so pasture boarding would actually work for her.  My only fear is that sometimes our winters can be brutally cold - those long nights of stiff, frozen winds would make me worry.  So a place with the option to bring in on those nights would be great, but how many of those are really out there?  And...it would have to be close.  I don't have a truck and trailer anymore to haul her, so would be relying on wonderful friends (and so wouldn't want to take advantage) and I need her close enough so that I can check on her regularly. 

I could also lease her out as a buddy type of horse - little to no riding (leadline with a kid or walk-only for beginners would be perfect for her), but then again I lose some of the control.  And, there's so many unwanted horses out there that the market is just over-saturated with "free buddy horse."


And, then there's this...there is NO guarantee that any horse I would buy would stay sound.  Pre-purchase exams are only good for that very moment, and there's only so much you can do to prevent injury.  What if both of my horses need vet care at the same time - are my finances sound enough to handle that?  If I'm honest, no they aren't - and that's why I had to send my OTTB back to New Vocations to be rehomed.

So, that leads me to the free-lease type of option.  I see those all over Craigslist - and honestly, it is appealing in that I could have a horse to ride, but not have to worry about all the expenses.  I would provide the board, foot care, and possibly basic vet - but the risk of injury and expenses related would be much lower.  But the horse wouldn't be mine, to do with what I please.  And, there would be the owner to consider - how do you tell them that they aren't welcome to ride their own horse?  But, if I bring that horse to my barn, that would be exactly the case - I'd be the only one allowed to ride.

So, sorry for the rambling, but just thinking and thinking and thinking....

No comments: