I'm on here every single day, but I haven't posted anything since February 2014. AND...on top of that...I read everyone's blogs that I follow, but I never comment on anything. I'm the worst. I don't even know if anyone still reads this, or has me on their reading list. If you're seeing this, I'm sorry. I'm the WORST!
So, what's prompted me to post something here, now? I am tired of seeing the "boarding woes" post on my page! Things changed for the good not too long after that post, and life is SO GOOD right now. Time for a post-script (and brief summary).
Just a few months after I posted that "boarding woes rant," I moved my mare back to a "retirement" facility she had been in several years before....back when I also had another horse. At that time, the thought was that Jetta was basically retired and the OTTB was my new project. I had the OTTB at a super fancy (ie $$$) barn, and Jetta at a much lower cost (but definitely not lower quality) facility. Life intervened and I became single....and so I gave the OTTB back to New Vocations and concentrated on getting life as a single mom on track. I had moved Jetta back to the fancy place (WHY...WHY OH WHY?!?!?!) and then that imploded as well. Our beloved DH of the not-so-beloved-BO died suddenly of a massive heart attack, and she then sold the place without telling any of the boarders. Hence the scramble to find a place. I had never forgotten the facility Jetta had been at while "retired," the BOs are really the best ever, the care was top notch, and just the overall vibe of the place is unparalleled. Sure, there aren't any arenas, but I don't need an arena. I moved Jetta back to the retirement facility in July of 2014, and as it turns out, 2 of the boarders at the previous $$$ place came with us! We have a barn full (there are 5 horses total) and no drama at all. NONE. I'm so freaking happy...and so is Jetta.
Jetta is her usual sassy, expressive self. She turned 21 in March of this year (HOLY CRAP), and really is mostly retired. I hack her out once a week or so when the footing is good (we don't have an arena at this barn, but we do have lots and lots of trails). Due to previous injuries and age (read = arthritis), I'm very very careful with footing and when and where we ride. I usually keep her to walk only, which is just fine with me, but most times she bobs on the bit asking for more. She's doing quite well, is on 1/4 tab of Previcox daily, and is just so. damn. happy. I mean, what more can you ask for?
So, enough about that....and onto the pictures! That's why we all read each other's blogs anyway. :)
Here she is on her 21st birthday, getting a beer! I actually bought 8 different kinds...no, not because I'm an alcoholic. I don't drink beer and had no idea what she might like. Turns out she's really just like me, as she didn't like any either. The only one she slightly tolerated is the granny smith one in the pic below. OF COURSE.
My 11yo son on her, for a quick bareback jaunt. She is SO GOOD with him.
The vast majority of her life is spent eating. I mean, can it get any rougher?
Side note, this is the trimmest/thinnest/best shape she's EVER been in...and I'm including back when I was riding 4-5x per week! Her weight is so well managed at this barn, I've never seen her this way...and it makes me so happy!
Seriously, could she have a rougher life.....
I just love this mare to pieces....
So, that's it for now! I hope to keep up with this blog, but well....we'll see. The main thing is that life is good, Jetta is happy, and time just keeps marching on. :)
Until we meet again...
Love, Jill and Jetta!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment