Well...moving day was Sunday and we are all settled in!
Jetta is now living the live she feels she truly deserves! ha!
She was turned out Sunday night - 3 other mares make up her group. We turned her out with the lowest in the herd and Jetta completely ignored her for the hay. Savannah went right to greet Jetta though, they sniffed and Jetta went back to eating. The second-in-command mare came in next and immediately challenged Jetta. Galena sniffed her, swung her hind end around and immediately fired off double barrel. Jetta, without missing a beat, did the exact same thing...all with a bite of hay in her mouth (and didn't stop chewing it!). lol Galena immediately retreated and re-evaluated the situation - tried once more and Jetta once more swung and fired. The boss mare was not turned out as she has hoof issues...her owner comes out every night and treats her then turns her out. I did not get any phone calls, so turnout must've ended a success.
Monday night I stopped back out after they were turned out to see how things were going. Boss mare still not out yet, but I found Jetta nose to tail with Savannah...the lowest ranking mare...and Galena off on her own sulking. lol I think that perhaps Jetta has once again established herself near the top of the heap.
Also, interestingly enough, 2 days before we moved, my previous barn owner tried one last salvo to keep me there. She told me she had discussed Jetta with her vet, and her vet said she would limit turnout rather than increase it. WHAT?!? This mare has major arthritic changes going on and you want to limit her movement! It's the worst possible option! I thanked the barn owner, but told her that she was already on limited turnout there (they go out 5hrs per day there) and she was lame. I also reminded her that her vet has never in fact seen my mare, nor seen her move, nor has any past history on her.
And now for the BEST news! When I stopped out to see Jetta Monday evening, she walked over to me completely sound! WOO HOO!!!!!!
I stayed away last night (man, this full care thing is AWESOME) but since today is my half day at work, I will be back out there today. I plan to ride Saturday. I really and truly feel like we are in the best place ever! More pictures to come! :)

2 comments:
Looks and sounds like horsey heaven!! I'm glad you and Jetta like the new place. It's so great for peace of mind! The turnout must be doing her well since she was sound. Here's hoping she continues to improve!
Oh wow I love the sound of your new stable for Jetta. I have just found your blog and love the look of your mare. She sounds lovely.
Post a Comment