Thursday, September 16, 2010

Update

We have now been at Horse-Heaven-On-Earth for 4 weeks, although it feels like it's been forever!  The transition into this barn is the most seamless I've ever had! 

Speaking of new barns, I got to thinking the other day.  In about a month is my 7year anniversary of buying Jetta.  In almost 7 years we have been at 6 barns.  lol  The sad thing is that I do not consider myself to be a "barn jumper."  HAHA!  In all reality, though, I was at 2 of those barns for 3 years each.  The other barns were temporary moves while I was on waiting lists.  But, this is the last move for us.  I swear.  For now.  lol!  Seriously, though, I cannot imagine a scenario in which we ever leave this barn.  I've even already picked out where I want her buried.

Jetta is doing quite well.  I have been doing a lot of trail rides with her, which is exactly the kind of riding she prefers.  I ditched our dressage bridle with crank noseband and flash.  There is no need for any of the equipment since we aren't doing dressage anymore.  I was on the hunt for a nice, black hunt-type bridle when I happened to be in Tractor Supply and looked there.  Sure enough, they had 1 black leather headstall left!  It's probably actually a western headstall, but it's plain black Weaver leather with a browband, but no nose band.  Sold!  So, I have kept my baucher dressage bit on it, but Jetta is just so much more relaxed and happy without all that stuff on her face.  And, I've been riding bareback almost exclusively now.  The barn owner has a youngster that she's training in dressage, but wants to get solid out on trails, so the first couple of times I rode with her was in my dressage saddle as I didn't know what his reactions are on trail.  He does have a pretty impressive spook, but Jetta just moves out of the way.  The other boarders are mostly scared older riders, and all make comments that I'm the Indian of the barn...riding bareback all the time.  :)

She is still a bit off, but the vet gave me some of his magic potion to paint on her ankle and coronet band before I ride and it seems to help her.  I am completely aware that Jetta may never be fully sound again, but it's very hard to keep riding her.  It's so inherently ingrained that when the horse I'm on takes an off step, GET OFF!!!  The vet tells me is a mechanical lameness, and I do believe him as she does not pin her ears or show any resistance.  And, the lameness shows itself at the trot, so I mostly just walk her anyway.  So, we keep on keepin' on!

4 comments:

Britnie said...

Glad to hear how your doing! Sounds like you and Jetta are having a blast, how funny about you being the 'indian' at the barn, lol! You need to get someone to snap a pic of you two! Hope all cont. well...

in2paints said...

I'm glad to hear you're still loving the new barn. Sounds like it's working out perfectly for the two of you!

I'm glad to hear you're able to manage Jetta's soundness issue too. I'm like you and hop off the minute my horse takes an off step. It's good that you have the ok to keep riding and enjoying the trails. :)

sally said...

thats nice for you that the new barn is working out well. And how cool to have nice trails to ride.I have enjoyed reading through your blog and look forward to hearing more about your adventures with Jetta

allhorsestuff said...

I have you beat for barns(very unfortunatley so)
I have had my mare for almost 5 years and have been in 7 stables and 2 Private places (of rescue from the professional ones). I have a blog devoted to the "boarding woes" but it is a rant and a venting spot for myself.

I NEVER meant to hop around...but with some of the stuff that I found happening and some that was not happening( the second BO decided she did not like what I fed my mare-so she stopped feeding her...my normally 1100 lb TB went to 925 lbs and ribby) I had to move.
I happy that you are enjoying your Jetta horse, and the new place!
I move again, in 3 days. Praying this one proves to be a good choice and I won't have to move again.Been on the "wait list" for a year and a half!

KK Wa mare~