Thursday, April 5, 2012

Good News!!

The vet called me yesterday with the results of Jetta's ankle xrays.  In his words "there is significant growth in the ringbone."  It has actually advanced so much that he can't see the joint.  While not completely fused, the ringbone has grown enough that it's no longer rubbing the joint.  Which explains why she's sound! 

I'm sure you can guess my next question, right?

"Can I ride?  I mean, I'm only thinking of trails, and perhaps the odd hunter pace here and there."

And the answer was a resounding yes!  I've been given the green light as long as I keep her limitations in mind. 

Annnnndddd....that means, I'm moving her back to the barn of my dreams on 5/4/12. 

To say I'm happy would be a massive understatement.  I would've been happy to keep her as a pasture pet, but to know that I am able to ride again?  What a wonderful gift! 


Also, in talking to my vet, we discussed supplements once again.  He really just doesn't believe in any oral joint supps.  And, he has a very valid point: we don't really know how much of anything the horse is actually getting.  So, I'm going back to giving IM acetyl-glucosamine shots.  And really, financially it makes MUCH better sense.  One bottle of shots = $90, and it has 10 shots in it - so $9/shot.  Averaged out, the average cost is $15/month as compared to the $60/mo from SmartPak for the oral stuff.  I've used it before and it worked, so we'll see what happens.  The thing is, she was so off for so long due to the ringbone, I never got to see how the rest of her body responded. 

So, yay!  Good news all around!

And, speaking of good news - I haven't shared much of my personal stuff here.  But, I'm very happy to report that after having met with the lawyer today, my soon-to-be-ex will finally be paying child and spousal support.  Thank the Lord!

3 comments:

in2paints said...

Congratulations on the horsey front and the personal front! Lots of good news all around... I can't imagine how excited you are to be able to ride your sweet girl again!!

sally said...

YAY all round!!!!

Britnie said...

I agree, yay all around!! So glad to hear all the great news!