Yesterday Jetta and I school dressage movements, and it was AWESOME!!! Within the first 5 minutes of working her, I was very disappointed. I had her on the longe line, not that she needs to expel energy before I ride, but it helps her stretch and move. Anyway, when she first started to move, she was a little "off" on that right front. Not a lot, and it was only the first couple of steps, but it was there. I decided to just longe some and see how she responded because the horses were in all day due to weather. Maybe all she needed was to stretch that shoulder out a little. Turns out, I was right! :) The first couple of steps were a little gimpy, but that was it. She moved right into a nice trot both directions and never took anything but a solid step the entire way. So, I got on. We worked a lot at the trot, I asked for difference in gait, as well as bend. We took a lot of walk breaks and worked on stretching and lateral movement. My heart soared as Jetta responded to each and every cue as if we hadn't missed the last 6 months of lessons.
One thing I have noticed is that I can really get her into a lovely trot if we first canter a little. So, after a little walking work, we transitioned into a canter. She is always fantastic about getting her left lead, but her right lead is sometimes really tough to get. We had a little trouble at first, but I realized it was me...I wasn't giving her the correct support to get that lead, and once I did...it was awesome.
Because the horses were in, the arena was a pretty popular place. Had several different horse and rider combinations come in and out while we were in, and I cannot say how happy I was to hear them say how good she looked. Even at the end, she was very willing and supple in the trot.
So, one giant step forward.
I am hoping against hope that she isn't super sore today. :(
2 comments:
I find that cantering my mare prior to trot work really gets her going nicely as well
Awesome news! I hope she continues doing so well!
Post a Comment