Thursday, January 6, 2011

It's Official....

.....my Jetta girl is retired.  :(

I may be able to jump on her here and there and do a small trail ride, but basically she's done. 

The vet asked me to longe her for him, to which I said I was very uncomfortable asking her to do.  He saw her go about 2 strides, said "oh, that's really bad" and immediately asked me to stop her.  He decided to do a "regular" block (a diagnostic block), which is very short-lived, just to see if an alcohol block would be of any benefit to her.  We let it take effect for about 10minutes and then back into the arena on the longe line.  She was about 40 - 50% better.  So, we went ahead with the alcohol block.  Jetta was such a good girl, stood alert yet quiet throughout the whole exam and injections.  My vet was loving all over her and made me cry when he said "I hate that this is happening to you, but I especially hate that this is happening to such a nice horse."

After he was done, he did say to me that euthanasia is the absolute last option, and not even an option at any point in the near future.  He tried to comfort me that the lameness I'm seeing really is mostly mechancial, and not giving her a lot of pain.  Plus, he says that most horses learn to live with it, and get along just fine without any intervention.  We talked for a while, and I left confident that we made the best decision we could given the state of her lameness and conformation.  He even told me that he thinks she's an excellent candidate for nerving in that foot - I'm not sure about it though.  He said he very rarely recommends it, because he knows that most owners won't rehab them correctly afterwards, and/or will abuse the lack of feeling to push them harder.  He complimented me as an owner and told me that he knows I will give her better care than he even could after such a surgery, and that he knows I would never push her.  I don't klnow though, I don't really want to do any surgery on her.

So, I guess Our Adventures are coming to an end.  :(



On another note....I emailed a lady today about a Friesian/WB cross and another lady about a TB.  lol

4 comments:

Carol said...

My husband's horse is a draft cross and very likely a Paint Percheron cross (she's a black and white paint) and she's about the nicest, sweetest, most fun horse I can imagine. I feel so bad for you in reading about Jetta. Very sad.
The two you're inquiring about sound nice though :)

in2paints said...

I'm so sorry Jill... I wish there was something else you could do for her. Good luck with your decision about the nerving, too. Sounds like a pretty tough decision.

At least your sweet girl won't be too much pain. Give her a kiss for me!

juliette said...

I am so sorry about this news.

Is riding her slowly at the walk out of the question? I remember you posting about your gorgeous rides on the trails where she lives. Not long, not hard - walk only for 10 - 20 minutes. Is that possible?

Britnie said...

Aw this stinks!! So sorry to hear, but Im glad you will still get to enjoy her in other ways.
hey, let us know about the tb and the wb!