I rode Jetta a little last night. :) My very good friend has 2 geldings that are just in love with her....and it helps her lessons on her big boy if we have Jetta-the-babysitter in there with him. I started by just hand walking her, and then said what the heck...and hopped up bareback with just her halter and lead. We only walked, and it was nice. Bittersweet for sure. Actually....it was better than nice....because I was home, back on my girl. She's still off, but sound enough to walk around the arena lightly - and I think it will actually do her some good to move some now and then. She was actually much more sound at the end of our little 10minute walk than when we started.
I am on the search for a retirement home for Jetta. In a perfect world, I could keep her where she is....but the price of having 2 there would send my husband through the roof. I could easily keep 2 there, but I would have to work every single weekend to afford it (and keep said husband on his feet). The problem with that scenario is that I'm very afraid that I would get burnt out and not want to ride. I currently work 2 weekends a month - although I really only need to work 1 to keep my board reasonable. I'm so very lucky that my BOs were willing to make this deal to begin with! I am looking into some options, and actually my farrier comes today so I plan to talk to him too. He always talks about the barn he goes to after he does our horses...that it's nothing fancy but the horses are really taken care of well. I drove by there yesterday, it's a private place without advertisement, and she had a little sign at the end of the drive that said "Horse Boarding" and her number. Is it a sign? I'm actually considering going over there with him today and maybe get a look around. The nice thing is that it's very close to my house, and so I could easily check in on her every day if need be! The other option I need to look into is an aquaintance that does retirement board about 15minutes from my house. She only takes in her friends' retirees, and I'm sure there's a list...but I've been there several times and she has said Jetta is always welcome there when space is open. So....we'll see.
But now....onto the exciting part....
I looked at my very first sale horse yesterday!!! I am trying with everything in me to not get so excited about this one, but I can't help it. She is breathtaking! My dear friend went with me, and as the lady doesn't have an indoor arena, we watched her longe her some. 5yo Hanoverian mare with some really lovely movement. I really, really, REALLY like her and am making plans to have them trailer her to my barn (hopefully this weekend) so that we can get her under saddle and have my trainer give me a lesson on her. The interesting thing is that she is priced well below what I think she is probably worth....I know it's a by-product of a shitty horse market...but I think it's more because she is still pretty green and her owner is scared of her...and the mare knows it. The mare is really lovely on the ground, awesome ground manners and very curious. She is quite confident, and very athletic. And her back and legs and shoulder??? O.M.G. Her feet are freaking awesome, and she's barefoot. So, anyway....she's on the longe and going nicely and the owner asks for a canter. She does a nice canter, and throws in a little bunny hop and squeal - typical "I feel good, and this is FUN!" attitude. The mare does a couple more shaking her head moves, and the owner does nothing to correct it. So, I get the longe line and ask her to move off. She's so freaking responsive to just my hand opening and closing on the line! I asked her to canter and she did great....I pushed her a little and I saw her think about doing something to which I growled "knock it off." She immediately straightened out and never offered another disobedient act. So.....I'm trying so hard not to get excited. I mean, it's the first horse I've gone to see since I've retired Jetta. She's pretty green, but confident. She will need some work, and I do believe I'm a good enough, strong enough, secure enough of a rider to go on this journey with her.
Next step is to get her in an arena with my trainer, and get on her. I talked with my trainer last night for a while, and told her I want to push some buttons under saddle and see what comes up. If that all goes well, and I actually think it will, then next step will be vetting and farrier.
OMG
And just because I like you all....here's a little taste....

8 comments:
It can definitely be a challenge when you have one retired and one currently in work. I've thought about keeping AJ somewhere cheaper, but I really want to keep him close to me and be able to keep an eye on him. It's very convenient to have him at the same barn with Lilly.
Good luck finding Jetta the perfect retirement home! Sounds like you have quite a few good options.
I don't buy into that "but she's only the first horse" meme! If she's the one, she's the one! :) She sounds really sweet and she's gorgeous!! I hope the lesson goes well!
Sounds like you have a couple of plans brewing. My advice on trying the mare would be to maybe try her more than once to get a truer picture of her behavior. Sometimes they can be so good on the first ride and not so good on the second. You just never know.
OH WOW!!
A-She is a beaut! I really hope that privatre close place works for Jetta too!
HOW EXCITING!! I can not WAIT to hear how your ride goes!! And how fun that you got to ride your girl too!
Thanks for letting me know my post (phases of retirement) was helpful. It is always nice to know that what you write is actually worthwhile sometimes! I wish I could not commiserate with you but I can, and mostly I am glad you are officially off the roller coaster. That in itself feels like the weight of the world being lifted off your shoulders.
Good luck finding a place for Jetta AND finding another partner. Now that you've opened yourself up to new possibilities the right horse and the right situation(s) will come along!
She looks HUGE! How big is she? Don't forget a vet check! :) Now I need to go read and figure out what happened to Jetta. It's been a while
Haha - that's a pic from when this mare was 2...she's 5 now! :) She's right about 17hh and is the old style German Hanoverian. I'm taking it slow....and plan to see if I can get her on a trial basis if she passes the under saddle test. During that time I will have her completely vetted out.
Oh wow the new horse sounds like a monster .....thats the size I'm talking about. I hope you find a nice place for Jetta ....could always post her to New Zealand. She would look nice in my paddock as a babysitter for my youngsters.
All the best in sussing out the new horse ....hope the first rides prove she is something special
Post a Comment