Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Retirement Home is Found...and Doubt Means DON'T!

My awesome farrier totally gave me the hookup!!!  From time to time he mentions the place he goes to after our barn, says it's nothing fancy but the horses are really take care of well and it's safe.  So, I called her and went to see it Sunday.  Jetta moves there the first weekend in March, or sooner if I find another horse.  :)  It's actually REALLY nice - there are currently 4 horses there now.  2 of them are completely retired, 1 of them is mostly retired (owners ride a couple of times a year) and the other one is the owners' 4H horse for their daughter...so he gets ridden a lot.  They have really nice fields, bale their own hay (which is gorgeous), even have some trails and smaller outdoor arena!  There are really nice run-ins in the fields, and I just know that Jetta will be very happy there.  The horses look awesome - you'd never know that 2 of them are in their mid-20s!!  The barn isn't fancy, but it's clean and taken care of - and Jetta will have a big, roomy stall...the barn is airy, and it just looks like a great fit.  And...get this...turns out they not only use the same farrier, but we all use the same vet, and the vet is a close family friend of theirs!  I couldn't agree to boarding fast enough.  lol

So, Jetta is all set.  I really don't want her to leave the taj-mahal of boarding barns, but I know she will be safe and happy...and it's literally 5 minutes from my house so I can (and will) stop in and see her just as often as I see her now.


I was catching up on my Oprah shows yesterday as I was off sick, and while I don't get her "AHA" moments...sometimes something is said that does have significance.  She said to a guest "I always say that doubt means don't."  And, you know...she's totally right!  So, while I really really REALLY like the WB mare I posted about, there are enough red flags and doubt that I really think I need to walk away.  First of all, she's listed at $6500 (a total steal, and there are reasons for that)...and even though that's cheap for a mare of her quality, I don't have $6500 for a horse!!!!  And, I know that I could get her going really well, but that would require a lot of help from my trainer (=$$$) AND then I would want to show her, which means even more $$!  I have enough red flags from the whacko owner that as much as I want this mare, I am walking away. 

So, I called New Vocations back and am going to go see their TBs next Wednesday.  I'm so excited!  I told them what exactly I'm looking for: good mind, uncomplicated, athletic, sturdy/substantial build, and NO LAMENESS issues.  They took all of that and have picked out a couple of really nice looking horses they think will be great matches.  We'll see, but one of them has a nasty club foot.  :(  I emailed all the pics to my farrier and he told me that I should really pass on her, as it's not a mild club...it's pretty severe.  Boo!  I'm excited, I really do feel this is the way I should be going, that rescue is the answer.  I have rescued almost all of my animals, and I really feel that they are so grateful for it.  So...I might have a new horse next week.  Eeeeeee!  :)

2 comments:

in2paints said...

The new barn sounds really nice! The fact that it's only 5 minutes from your house is a huge bonus!! I'm sure Jetta will be quite happy there.

Can't wait to "meet" the new candidates!! :)

allhorsestuff said...

Yea for Jetta! That sounds fabulous!
Yes, yes, do post candidates!
You may have to rename your blog!