Monday, August 25, 2008

Joke's on You, Mother Nature!! HA!!!!

The past week had been back to normal August in Ohio - HOT and humid. So humid that it's hard to catch a breath outside. So, I've let Jetta just be a horse.

Last night I headed back out to the barn to clean and also the goal was to ride. The weather had other plans. It was hot and humid, but a cold front was making it's way through the area, brining much-needed rain and also some storms with it. I took my time cleaning my stall, swept the barn, cleaned tack, etc. Finally went out and brought Jetta in, it was still sprinkling. I decided, hey...we've got two indoor arenas...I'm riding anyway. As I was grooming, the rain began again, but I just laughed at it. Got done, was too lazy to do any kind of saddle so bareback it was. Headed towards the indoor, and the rain was over.

So....

Out to trails! There was distant thunder and lightening in almost all directions, so I knew it would be a quick one. But, it was still a trail ride. TAKE THAT MOTHER NATURE!! Ha! Plans to spoil my ride? Psh...I don't think so!

Ah......how we've needed this break!

Jetta has an appointment with an honest-to-God real chiropractor tomorrow. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this guy, and it's near impossible to establish as a new client with him as he's so booked. Luckily, the barn owners use him and he's coming out to do their horses....so I was able to add her on. The other lady I was using isn't actually a chiro, but did do some manipulations in conjunction with accupunture and massage. She was thrown from her horse in July and is slowly making her way back in to work again. She can still do the massage and accupunture, but her back is not ready for any of the adjustments....which is really what I think Jetta actually needs. So, hopefully this guy tomorrow can do some good things for her. :)

I'll leave you on this note....I've been having the total creepy-crawlies all week, thanks to this thread on COTH: Neck Thread Worms . It's a long thread, but TOTALLY WORTH READING!!!!! For anyone that has a horse that has "sweet itch" or "allergies to fly saliva" or "eye allergies" or "front end lameness" ... it's a must-read. I don't know why these worms are not talked about more, this is the first I've heard of them. Jetta has awful sweet itch and is really only marginally controlled with the flax in her feed and the coat supp she is also on. I did the recommended double-dose of EquiMax on Thursday, and she's MUCH IMPROVED already. **shudder** Prepare yourself for itching before you read it!

No comments: